Landfills In South Carolina

Licking landfills are vast outdoor sites that have been specifically created for the dumping of trash. Not all wastes are created equal. Different types of landfills take various types of garbage, including the following:

Waste generated in the industrial sector

Hazardous waste is a type of waste that is harmful to the environment.

Debris from construction and demolition projects

Municipal solid waste, also known as home trash or garbage, is a type of waste generated by municipalities.

Whenever people think of the landfill, the first thing that comes to mind is most likely the one that receives your domestic trash or garbage. In South Carolina, this type of landfill is referred to as a landfill. In a normal year, South Carolinians generate over 4.2 million tonnes of this sort of trash/garbage, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Approximately 3 million tonnes (approximately 70.5 percent) of that total was dumped of in the government’s landfills. The remaining 29.5 percent (1,229,100 tonnes) of the state’s municipal solid waste (MSW) was recycled.

What Is The Point Of Having Landfills?

Garbage reduction, reuse, and recycling divert a significant portion of our waste away from landfills, however they do not divert 100% of our waste. To safeguard human health and environment, it is necessary to manage garbage in an appropriate manner.

What Exactly Is MSW?

Varying states set definitions, but municipal solid waste (MSW) is typically defined as garbage or domestic trash. This comprises paper, cans, bottles, and food scraps, among other materials. Landfills are designed to accommodate various forms of waste – the majority of these should be recycled – as well as additional types of waste that are peculiar to the site. Class 3 landfills in South Carolina are prohibited from accepting hazardous garbage, lead-acid batteries, yard clippings, tyres (in their entirety), used motor oil, or major appliances.

How Is Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Handled In South Carolina?

There are two approaches to waste management that are effective. Our options are to recycle it or to dump of that in a Class III landfill.

When It Comes To Waste Disposal, How Much Is Disposed Of In Landfills?

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Americans created around 250 million tonnes of municipal solid waste in 2010 (the most recent data available) (EPA). A total of 136 million tonnes, or 54 percent, of this total was disposed of through land fills. The remainder was recycled or composted.

The Cost Of Disposing Of Waste At The A Landfill Is Difficult To Estimate

Landfill operators charge fees based on the number of tonnes of waste they receive. It is known as a tipping fee and therefore is charged to a waste hauler who “tips” garbage out from the vehicle once it has been emptied or “tipped.” According to the “South Carolina Solid Waste Management Report 2018 for Fiscal Year 2018,” the average tipping cost in South Carolna .

What Method Do We Use To Pay For Garbage Management?

It is dependent on the situation. Numerous residents are required to pay for trash management – includes recycling – services through local property taxes. Another method by which residents pay their own way is through recurring monthly fees that are billed by their municipal authorities. It is necessary for some to pay waste transporters directly. Others, meantime, bring their rubbish & recyclables to drop-off locations, which are, of course, supported by local authorities through taxes and fees.

Recommended Articles